Kotpiale is a conceptual Mauritian clothing and accessories brand born in 2015 by two passionate sisters, Karuna and Melissa Veerapen. The two ladies have different artistic back ground, Karuna is a Textile Technologist and Melissa is a Creative director. Both are degree holders and professionals and therefore found the ideal recipe for a sustainable brand.
Their creations carry a very strong Mauritian DNA where you can find illustrations of Mauritian Landscape, Local slangs (Kreol Language), Illustrations and some important twists in their wordings representing the island.
The brand takes into consideration the ecological aspect of Fashion and therefore try their best to minimise the carbon footprint on the planet.
At Kotpiale, everything is manufactured in Mauritius by kind hearted locals. The fabric used is outsourced from local factories. The majority of the materials used is from recycle materials from big industries for a more exclusive and original feel. More than 50% of the furnitures in the outlet are made of recycle materials. There is no usable of single used plastic and the best of all is that their shopping bag is made of 100% recycle newspaper, which is folded and glued by women in community centers on the island. By supporting our brand, you are supporting a cause, you are also helping to rebalance our economy and give opportunities to the less fortunate.
As Kotpiale is positioned as a sustainable brand, take the responsibility to take back the old Kotpiale textiles products (some conditions are applied) and in exchange you get 5%.
By this initiative, they would like to maximise the usable of the material so that it does not go to the landfill.
Kotpiale also takes part in a several collaborations to rebalance our society:
- We strongly support an ONG called Ripple project which is responsible for the distribution of hygenic pads in community centers, less fortunate families.
- We have a rainbow sticker in front of our shop which has been gifted by the Peter Tachelle foundation in the UK, showing that our space is an LGBTQAI+ friendly place.
- We collaborate with a ladies in a community center in one of the small villages of Mauritius to make our newspaper shopping bags. We strongly believe in women empowerment.
- We also collaborate with several artists, poets, writers to put forward new projects.
- From time to time, we create event to give the opportunity to start ups to showcase and sell their products in our shops. By doing so we are giving the opportunity to the startup for more visibility and also build their confidence.
"I believe that each and every person lies a talent that can only be un earthed by the correct determination and hard work. " - Karuna Veerapen - Goinden
If you want to purchase authentic Mauritian creations, Kotpiale is the place to be!
Where to find us? We are in Rose Hill in the center of the Island
9, Vigil MU, Sir Virgil Naz Street, Beau Bassin-Rose Hill 71301
We are also in Caudan Craft Market in the Capital
Caudan Waterfront MU, Port Louis 11306